Scholarship level: Master’s Research; Master’s by coursework; All postgraduate; First year students; School leaver
Closing date(s): Trimester 1: 30 November; Trimester 2: 1 June; Trimester 3: 1 September
Tenure: One year
Award for: International
Number offered: Up to 19 (see additional information)
Value: $5,000 or $10,000 (see additional information)
The Tongarewa Scholarships celebrate the University’s commitment to our international student community. We award a range of these scholarships to international students each year. This is a partial fee-based scholarship that will go towards tuition fees for one year of study. Applicants can be either entering their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
Scholarships are awarded competitively on the basis of academic excellence. They apply to study in the year following application and will be credited to tuition fees. Shortlisted candidates may be requested to provide additional information to support their application. Recipients of these scholarships are guaranteed an offer of a place in one of our Halls of Residence, provided an accommodation application is received by University Accommodation Wellington by their deadline.
Applicants must be:
- international students who are paying full international fees
- entering their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree.
You are not eligible for this scholarship if you:
- completed your secondary education at a New Zealand school
- completed the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) or Foundation Studies Programme
- are a Study Abroad or Twinning student from one of our overseas partner universities
- are in your second year of study in the same degree programme at Victoria University of Wellington.
A completed online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact us if you have any queries.
Scholarship specific documentation
The following documentation must be provided as part of your online scholarship application:
- a personal statement of up to 500 words outlining why you wish to study at Victoria University of Wellington, your academic goals and why you merit the scholarship. You should also include any leadership positions and details of your involvement in your school or community
- full transcripts and other documentation relevant to the qualification type
- an offer of place from Victoria University of Wellington (conditional or unconditional).